We understand that dental appointments are often a source of stress and anxiety. Our dental providers are kind, compassionate, and have years of experience providing specialized treatment for patients with anxiety.
At 7Dental, oral sedation is an ideal option for those with moderate to severe anxiety about dental treatment.
What is oral sedation?
Most commonly, oral sedation (anti-anxiety medication) is prescribed for relieving anxiety in the hours immediately before a dental appointment. The medication is taken in the office under supervision 1 hour before your scheduled appointment.
What are the benefits?
- It allows you to comfortably undergo everything from a simple cleaning to an extensive treatment. One of the additional benefits is that the medicine has an amnesia quality, which for most patients, tends to prevent almost any memory of the visit
- It enhances effectiveness of anesthetic
- It decreases gagging
- It decreases joint and muscle soreness
- It allows more treatment to be provided in a shorter time, which could decrease the total number of visits
How long does it last?
For most patients, the effects last between 2-4 hours, so we require you to have someone drive you home.
Will I be asleep during the procedures?
Most patients do tend to fall asleep, however you can still respond to verbal commands. Even the most apprehensive patients have been ecstatic with the results.
- Pregnant or nursing mothers
- Those with known allergy to benzodiazepines
- Those with depression / bipolar / psychosis
- Those taking MAO inhibitors
- Those under alcohol intoxication
- Those with severe respiratory disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis or emphysema
- Those with congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Those with impaired kidney or liver function
If you’re taking ANY medications, be sure to tell us. Please speak to our dental providers
to find out if this medication is right for you.
Laughing Gas (Nitrous Oxide)
Nitrous oxide (laughing gas) is another option your dentist may offer to help make you more comfortable during certain procedures. Nitrous oxide is a safe and effective sedative agent mixed with oxygen that will help you relax.
You’ll breathe Nitrous Oxide in through a small mask that covers your nose. It takes just a few minutes for you to notice the effects. People most often describe the feeling as being relaxed, unconcerned, happy, slightly numb, and disconnected from what’s happening around them. As with oral sedation, you may feel sleepy under the effects of the sedation, but will still be able to respond to verbal commands. We are able to adjust the dosage of the nitrous oxide gas to fit your needs. There are no long-lasting effects associated with nitrous oxide, and you can safely drive after a dental appointment. We won’t use Nitrous Oxide if you’re pregnant, have an inner ear infection, or asthma.
Please let us know if you’d like to try Nitrous Oxide to feel more relaxed during your next dental appointment at 7Dental! Your dentist will review any contraindications to assess if this treatment is right for you.